D-Link DGS-1008G manual table of contents:
- D-Link DGS-1008G | Product Manual - Page 1
- D-Link DGS-1008G | Product Manual - Page 2
...of such revisions or changes.
Revision 1.0 1.1 ENGLISH Date February 19, 2010 May 18, 2010 Description DGS-1008G - Hardware revision A1 Added Windows® 7 Support
D-Link and the D-Link logo are trademarks or registered trademarks ...
- D-Link DGS-1008G | Product Manual - Page 3
... Fast Ethernet Technology...8 Gigabit Ethernet Technology ...8 Switching Technology ...9 802.1p Priority Tagging ...9 Jumbo Frame Support ...9 ......16 DGS-1008G to End Node ...16 Hub/Switch to DGS-1008G ...16 Connecting To Network Backbone or Server ...16 Troubleshooting ...17 Networking Basics ...18 ...
- D-Link DGS-1008G | Product Manual - Page 4
... on your system components, and never operate the product in a wet environment. If the system gets wet, see the appropriate section in your troubleshooting guide or contact your trained service provider. • Do not push any objects into the openings of ...
- D-Link DGS-1008G | Product Manual - Page 5
• To help avoid damaging your system, be sure the voltage selection switch (if provided) on the power supply is set to match the power available at your location 115 volts (V)/60 hertz (Hz) in most of North and South America and some Far Eastern countries such as South Korea and Taiwan. 100 V/...
- D-Link DGS-1008G | Product Manual - Page 6
Protecting Against Electrostatic Discharge
Static electricity can harm delicate components inside your system. To prevent static damage, discharge static electricity from your body before you touch any of the electronic components, such as the microprocessor. You can do so by periodically touching ...
- D-Link DGS-1008G | Product Manual - Page 7
Package Contents Product Overview
D-Link DGS-1008G 8-port Gigabit Desktop Switch Wall Mount Kit Power Adapter Warranty Card Quick Install Guide
The setup of the DGS-1008G can be performed using the following steps: • The power outlet should be ...
- D-Link DGS-1008G | Product Manual - Page 8
... importance of LANs and the increasing complexity of desktop computing applications are fueling the need for high ... your subnetworks. Gigabit Ethernet enables fast optical fiber connections to support video ... than Fast Ethernet, servers outfitted with Gigabit Ethernet NIC's are able to perform 10 ...
- D-Link DGS-1008G | Product Manual - Page 9
... that voice traffic is always clear and jitter free. The DGS-1008G supports the 802.1p feature with 4 preconfigured priority queues. When a...a higher priority then traffic tagged with a priority bit of 6 and so forth.
Jumbo Frame Support
The DGS-1008G switch supports Jumbo Frames up to 9720 Bytes in ...
- D-Link DGS-1008G | Product Manual - Page 10
The DGS-1008G 8-port 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet Switch was designed for easy installation and high performance in an environment where traffic on the network and the number of users increase continuously. • Eight (8) 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet ports • ...
- D-Link DGS-1008G | Product Manual - Page 11
Top Panel (LEDs)
The LED indicators of the Switch include Power and Link/Act/Speed. The following shows the LED indicators for the Switch along with an explanation of each indicator (refer to the next page).
- D-Link DGS-1008G | Product Manual - Page 12
Power Indicator This green indicator illuminates when the Switch is receiving power. Link/Act/Speed This indicator illuminates steadily when a port is connected to a device successfully and has a good link. The indicator will blink to indicate that a port is ...
- D-Link DGS-1008G | Product Manual - Page 13
... supplied through an external power adapter. Check the technical specification section for information about the power input voltage. Since the DGS-1008G does not require a power button, plugging its power adapter into a power outlet will immediately power ...
- D-Link DGS-1008G | Product Manual - Page 14
... connect Ethernet devices to your new D-Link switch and how to mount the switch.
Before You Connect to ... guidelines for setting up the Switch. • Install the Switch on a sturdy, level surface that can support at least 3 kg (6.6 lbs.) of weight. Do not place heavy objects on the Switch. •...
- D-Link DGS-1008G | Product Manual - Page 15
Mounting the Switch on the Wall
The DGS-1008G can also be mounted on a wall. Two mounting slots are provided on the bottom of the switch for this purpose. Please make sure that the front panel is exposed in order to view the LEDs. Please refer to the illustration below:
- D-Link DGS-1008G | Product Manual - Page 16
Connecting the Switch
DGS-1008G to End Node
End nodes include PCs outfitted with a 10, 100, or ... A blinking LED on the bottom indicates packet activity on that port.
Hub/Switch to DGS-1008G
These connections can be accomplished in a number of ways using a standard Ethernet cable. • A 10BASE-T hub...
- D-Link DGS-1008G | Product Manual - Page 17
1. Why can´t I share my Internet connection to multiple computers when using my D-Link DGS-1008G switch? If you are connecting directly to a... ISP and purchase extra IP addresses for each additional computer. 2. Does the DGS-1008G switch have an uplink port...
- D-Link DGS-1008G | Product Manual - Page 18
Check your IP address
After you install your new D-Link adapter or ...on your computer, by default, the TCP/IP settings should be set to obtain an IP address from a DHCP server... and press Enter. • This will display the IP address, subnet mask, and the default gateway of your adapter...
- D-Link DGS-1008G | Product Manual - Page 19
...IP address that is on the same subnet as your network or the LAN IP address on your router. Example: If the ...IP address is 192.168.0.1, make your IP address 192.168.0.X where X is a number between 2 and 99.... not in use on the network. Set Default Gateway the same as the LAN IP address of your router (...
- D-Link DGS-1008G | Product Manual - Page 20
... that also supports auto-negotiation, the link can self-detect its optimum operating setup. Backbone Port A port that does not learn device addresses, and that receives all frames with an unknown address. Backbone ports are normally used to connect the Switch to the backbone of your ...
- D-Link DGS-1008G | Product Manual - Page 21
... allows you to automatically map an IP address to a given MAC address each time a device is... can cause network failure. Console Port The port on the Switch accepting a terminal or modem connector....computers to the serial form used on data transmission links. This port is most often used for dedicated ...
- D-Link DGS-1008G | Product Manual - Page 22
... end station. Prevents packet loss at a congested switch port. Forwarding The process of sending a packet toward ... network using TCP/IP. The address is written as four octets separated with full-stops (periods), ... Speed See baud rate. Main Port The port in a resilient link that carries data traffic in...
- D-Link DGS-1008G | Product Manual - Page 23
...set of rules for communication between devices on a network. The rules dictate format, timing, sequencing, and error control. Resilient Link A pair of ports that can be configured so that one will take over data transmission should the other fail. See ...
- D-Link DGS-1008G | Product Manual - Page 24
... to form a single logical device. Standby Port The port in a resilient link that will take over data transmission if the main port in the link fails. Switch A device that filters, forwards, and ... physical LAN. VLT Virtual LAN Trunk. A Switch-to-Switch link which carries traffic for all the ...
- D-Link DGS-1008G | Product Manual - Page 25
... x 10/100/1000Mbps auto-negotiation, auto MDI/MDI-X ports DC inputs • Switching = 5V/1.2A ENGLISH Temperature • Operating: 0° ~ 40° C (32º to 104º F) ... Fast Ethernet: 148,800/pps • 1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet = 148,800/pps MAC Address Learning • Automatic update
- D-Link DGS-1008G | Product Manual - Page 26
RJ-45 Pin Specifications
The following table shows the standard RJ-45 receptacle/connector and their pin assignments. RJ-45 Connector pin assignment Contact Media Direct Interface Signal 1 Rx +(receive) 2 Rx - (receive) 3 Tx + (transmit) 4 Not used 5 Not used 6 Tx - (transmit) 7 Not used 8 Not used...
- D-Link DGS-1008G | Product Manual - Page 27
...phone. Before you contact technical support, please have the following ready: • Model number of the product (e.g. DGS-1008G) • Hardware Revision (located on the label on the bottom of the switch (e.g. rev A1)) • Serial Number (s/n number located ...
- D-Link DGS-1008G | Product Manual - Page 28
ENGLISH Product registration is entirely voluntary and failure to complete or return this form will not diminish your warranty rights.
Version 1.1 May 18, 2010