Page 2 highlights
RT2390 EN sheet final
Operating your Receiver
Operating the Radio
The receiver has a built-in tuner that allows for AM/FM radio function.
Advanced Sound Control
Dynamic Bass Amplified System (dBas)
With "Dynamic Bass Amplified System" (dBas), the discrete amplifier is located in the receiver so the subwoofer keeps the power needed to reproduce powerful effects. 4 settings are available: SOFT, BALANCED, STRONG and POWERFUL. Press the SUBWOOFER button to toggle the subwoofer (dBas) effects level according to your needs. 2. To adjust the volume level of the test tone, turn the VOLUME knob or press the VOL Up or DOWN buttons on the remote control to adjust the master volume (if necessary)
ST indicator is off.
• Adjust the antenna. • Press GO BACK/ST.MONO button to insure you are not outputting in mono.
Limited Warranty (U.S.)
What your warranty covers: • Defects in materials or workmanship. For how long after your purchase: • One year from date of purchase for labor and parts • The warranty period for rental units begins with the first rental or 45 days from date of shipment to the rental firm, whichever comes first. What we will do: • Pay any Authorized RCA Audio Service Center the labor charges to repair your unit. • Pay any Authorized RCA Audio Service Center for the new or, at our option, refurbished replacement parts required to repair your unit. How you get service: • Take your unit to any Authorized RCA Audio Service Center. To identify your nearest Authorized RCA Audio Service Center, ask your dealer, look in the Yellow Pages, or call 1-800336-1900. • Show the Authorized Service Center Representative your evidence of purchase date or first rental. • Pick up your unit when repairs are completed. • Proof of purchase in the form of a bill of sale or receipted invoice which is evidence that the product is within the warranty period must be presented to obtain warranty service. For rental firms, proof of first rental is also required. What your warranty does not cover: • Customer instruction. (Your Owner's Manual describes how to install, adjust, and operate your unit. Any additional information should be obtained from your dealer.) • Installation and related adjustments. • Signal reception problems not caused by your unit. • Damage from misuse or neglect. • Cleaning of audio heads. • Batteries. • A unit that has been modified or incorporated into other products or is used for institutional or other commercial purposes. • A unit purchased or serviced outside the U.S.A. • Acts of nature, such as but not limited to lightning damage. Product Registration: • Please complete and mail the Product Registration Card packed with your product. It will make it easier to contact you should it ever be necessary. The return of the card is not required for warranty coverage. Limitation of Warranty: • THE WARRANTY STATED ABOVE IS THE ONLY WARRANTY APPLICABLE TO THIS PRODUCT. ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED (INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE) ARE HEREBY DISCLAIMED. NO VERBAL OR WRITTEN INFORMATION GIVEN BY THOMSON INC., ITS AGENTS OR EMPLOYEES SHALL CREATE A GUARANTY OR IN ANY WAY INCREASE THE SCOPE OF THIS WARRANTY. • REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT AS PROVIDED UNDER THIS WARRANTY IS THE EXCLUSIVE REMEDY OF THE CONSUMER. THOMSON INC. SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES RESULTING FROM THE USE OF THIS PRODUCT OR ARISING OUT OF ANY BREACH OF ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY ON THIS PRODUCT. THIS DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES AND LIMITED WARRANTY ARE GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF INDIANA. EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT PROHIBITED BY APPLICABLE LAW, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ON THIS PRODUCT IS LIMITED TO THE APPLICABLE WARRANTY PERIOD SET FORTH ABOVE. How State Law relates to warranty: • Some states do not allow the exclusion nor limitation of incidental or consequential damages, or limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you. • This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you also may have other rights that vary from state to state. If you purchased your unit outside the United States: • This warranty does not apply. Contact your dealer for warranty information. Service calls which do not involve defective materials or workmanship are not covered by this warranty. Costs of such service calls are the sole responsibility of the purchaser.
Storing radio stations
The receiver can store up to 40 radio stations in memory. You can enter every single radio station yourself or the receiver can store all available radio stations automatically in an ascending order.
Make sure the speakers are connected. Check the input connections. Check the power cord connections. Make sure the MUTE signal on the front panel is off. • Make sure the digital setting (optical, coaxial or analog) is correct. • Check that the headphone is not inserted.
1. Connect the FM and AM antenna accordingly (see "Connecting the Antenna" section for details) 2. Press ON/STANDBY on the main unit or ON•OFF on the remote control to switch on the receiver.
Automatic preset storing : (FM only)
1. In Tuner mode, select the FM band by pressing TUNER on the remote control.
The signal is Mono. Severe hum or noise.
• The signal is too weak. Connect an external antenna. • Adjust Antenna • Reposition Antenna away from any electronics. Press LEVEL again and press the Up or Down buttons to adjust the individual channel noise level.
No audio from one channel.
• Check the speaker level setting. • Check the speaker wire or external source cable connections.
There is interference to FM reception.
• Turn off other electrical units (e.g. DVD, CD player) near the receiver.
3. Press the SOURCE buttons on the main unit until the tuner mode is selected or press TUNER on the remote control.
2. Press and hold the TUNER button on the remote control for 3 seconds. "MEMORY" will be displayed in red and will blink during the automatic storing process. Radio frequencies will be scanned and radio stations will be stored automatically. When all available radio stations are stored or if all 40 memory locations are full, the auto preset will stop.
Noise occurs when the TV is turned on.
• The TV is too close to the audio system.
Remote Control Operation
The remote control does not operate the unit.
• Another source mode is selected on the remote. Press the correct Source Button. • No batteries installed. (included with your system) Install the batteries before attempting to operate the remote. Be sure to match the + and - ends of each battery to the symbols shown in the remote battery compartment. • The batteries are weak. Replace all batteries. • The remote is not pointed at the remote control sensor on the main unit or there is an obstacle between the remote and the main unit. • The remote control is too far from the main unit, move closer.
Fine Setting of the Components
The receiver can be directly turned on by pressing the DVD•6CH / SAT•CABLE / TV / CD•TAPE / VCR / TUNER buttons on the remote control, which also selects the best surround sound mode. The default surround modes for different components are listed in the table below. If you decide to change the surround mode, you can press the SURROUND button repeatedly to toggle among the different surround mode choices and select the one you want. DOLBY PL II MUSIC => DOLBY PL EMULATION => 3 STEREO => ARENA => JAZZ CLUB => THEATER => STADIUM => DISCO => STEREO => DOLBY PL II MOVIE Source/ Input DVD SAT VCR TV CD TAPE TUNER If Digital Input (optical or coaxial) is selected Dolby Digital Dolby Digital N/A Dolby Digital STEREO N/A N/A
Specific instruments sound displaced.
• Check the connections between the receiver and the speakers if the sound does not match the video. • Check if the video and audio cable are correctly inserted.
Adjust Individual Speaker Volume
1. To adjust individual speaker volume level, press the LEVEL key on the remote control. 2. Continue to press the LEVEL button on the remote control to select the channel to be adjusted, then press the Up or Down buttons to adjust the level. You can adjust the master volume level by turning the VOLUME knob or press the VOL UP or DOWN buttons on the remote control.
A Weak signal can affect the "Automatic Preset Storing function" efficiency. Adjust the antenna for the best reception, and a more efficient search.
Cleaning the Exterior
Disconnect the system from AC power before cleaning the exterior of the system with a soft dust cloth, or with a slightly damp leather chamois. Never use strong solvents.
4. To select between FM and AM band, press the TUNER button repeatedly.
5. Tune to a station by pressing TUNER - or TUNER + repeatedly until the desired station is found. 1. Select FM or AM band by pressing TUNER repeatedly. 2. Tune to the radio station to be stored. (see "Manual tuning" above for details) 3. Press the SAVE button on the remote control. "MEMORY" will flash and a preset number will be shown on the display. 4. While MEMORY is still flashing on the display, press CH or CH on the remote control to select the desired preset memory location. 5. Press the SAVE button on the remote control to store frequency in selected preset location. 6. Repeat steps 1-5 to store other frequencies.
Factory defaulted Advance setting indication from VFD
The receiver has defaulted the following distances:
Remote loses Programmed codes.
• Weak batteries, replace batteries.
Remote forgets what source was selected.
• Weak batteries, replace batteries.
Cch Lch Rch
Press and hold TUNER or TUNER + for about one second to activate the automatic SEARCH function. The receiver will automatically tune frequencies until it finds a station.
Care and Maintenance
Disconnect the audio system from the power source before performing any maintenance.
Source / Input DVD SAT VCR TV CD TAPE TUNER
If Analog Input is selected PRO LOGIC PRO LOGIC PRO LOGIC PRO LOGIC STEREO STEREO STEREO
RMS Output Power: Dolby Digital Mode with 10% Total Harmonic Distortion Rear Channels: 55 Watts each Channel (1KHz, 6 Ohm) Front and Center Channel: 98 Watts (1KHz, 3 Ohm) Subwoofer Channel: 98 Watts (100Hz, 3 Ohm) Total RMS Output Power, Dolby Digital mode : 500 W FTC Output Power: Dolby Digital Mode with 10% Total Harmonic Distortion Front Channels (L and R ): 50 Watts per Channel (1KHz, 3 Ohm) Rear Channels (L and R): 45 Watts per Channel (1KHz, 6 Ohm) Center Channel: 90 Watts (1KHz, 3 Ohm) Subwoofer Channel: 90 Watts (80Hz, 3 Ohm) Total FTC Output Power, Dolby Digital mode: 370 Watts Muting Attenuation: 65dB Frequency Response: 20kHz /-3dB, 1kHz ref. Subwoofer Frequency Response: 10 Hz / -3db, 80Hz ref. Signal to Noise Ratio: 65dB (Dolby digital mode) Video Signal to Noise Ratio from 40 dB to 60dB
1. If there is interference, move the location of the antenna until the optimal sound is heard. TV and other electronic devices could be the cause of interferences so try to position the antenna away from them. 2. Weak signal can affect the "auto Search function". Adjust the antenna for better reception and for a more efficient search.
Front speakers (FRNT) 15 ft Center speaker (CNTR) 15 ft Rear speaker (SURR) 10 ft
Clean the exterior of the system using a soft dust cloth.
Retrieving preset stations
1. Press TUNER on the remote control to select tuner mode. 2. Press the PRESET buttons on the main unit or the CH or CH buttons on the remote control to select the preset station. The receiver will keep the last selection in memory. You can also change the setup of the speakers. Use a subwoofer to enjoy optimum sound. • Speaker distance: For optimum surround experience measure the distance between the speaker and your favorite listening position. 1. Press the SETUP button to show setup options.
Important battery information
• Remove the batteries to avoid leakage if you do not use your remote control for more than one month. • Discard leaky batteries immediately as leaking batteries may cause skin burns or other personal injuries. • Dispose of batteries in the proper manner, according to provincial and local regulations. • Any battery may leak electrolyte if mixed with a different battery type, if inserted incorrectly, if all batteries are not replaced at the same time, if disposed of in fire, or if an attempt is made to charge a battery not intended to be recharged.
If linear PCM source (CD), format will be Dolby Prologic even with Digital Input.
Limited Warranty (Canada)
What your warranty covers: • Defects in materials or workmanship. For how long after your purchase: • One year from date of purchase for labor and parts • The warranty period for rental units begins with the first rental or 45 days from date of shipment to the rental firm, whichever comes first. What we will do: • Pay any Authorized RCA Audio Service Center the labor charges to repair your unit. • Pay any Authorized RCA Audio Service Center for the new or, at our option, refurbished replacement parts required to repair your unit. How you get service: • Take your unit to any Authorized RCA Audio Service Center. To identify your nearest Authorized RCA Audio Service Center, ask your dealer, look in the Yellow Pages, or call 1-800336-1900. • Show the Authorized Service Center Representative your evidence of purchase date or first rental. • Pick up your unit when repairs are completed. • Proof of purchase in the form of a bill of sale or receipted invoice which is evidence that the product is within the warranty period must be presented to obtain warranty service. For rental firms, proof of first rental is also required. What your warranty does not cover: • Customer instruction. (Your Owner's Manual describes how to install, adjust, and operate your unit. Any additional information should be obtained from your dealer.) • Installation and related adjustments. • Signal reception problems not caused by your unit. • Damage from misuse or neglect. • Cleaning of audio heads. • Batteries. • A unit that has been modified or incorporated into other products or is used for institutional or other commercial purposes. • A unit purchased or serviced outside Canada. • Acts of nature, such as but not limited to lightning damage. Product Registration: • Please complete and mail the Product Registration Card packed with your product. It will make it easier to contact you should it ever be necessary. The return of the card is not required for warranty coverage. Limitation of Warranty: • THE WARRANTY STATED ABOVE IS THE ONLY WARRANTY APPLICABLE TO THIS PRODUCT. NO VERBAL OR WRITTEN INFORMATION GIVEN BY THOMSON MULTIMEDIA LTD., ITS AGENTS OR EMPLOYEES SHALL CREATE A GUARANTY OR IN ANY WAY INCREASE THE SCOPE OF THIS WARRANTY. • REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT AS PROVIDED UNDER THIS WARRANTY IS THE EXCLUSIVE REMEDY OF THE CONSUMER. THOMSON MULTIMEDIA LTD. SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES RESULTING FROM THE USE OF THIS PRODUCT. EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT PROHIBITED BY APPLICABLE PROVINCIAL LAW, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ON THIS PRODUCT IS LIMITED TO THE APPLICABLE WARRANTY PERIOD SET FORTH ABOVE. How Provincial Laws relates to warranty: • This warranty gives you specific legal rights which are in addition to statutory warranties that may vary from Province to Province.
Select a sound effect if needed by pressing the SURROUND button. (see "Advance sound section" for details).
Input Signal Setting
The receiver defaults to the most convenient settings for your easiest use (see table). If your connection is different from the default setting, 1. Select the source 2. Press the SETUP button to show setup options. 3. Press the Left or Right adjustment buttons until ANALOG is displayed. 4. Press the Up or Down arrow buttons to select among optical/ coaxial/ analog to match your connection. Your selection will be stored automatically. The selected source and input source will be displayed on the display as long as they are active, except for some temporary change of display (e.g. adjusting volume). 2. Press the Left or Right adjustment buttons until the speaker you want to change is displayed. 3. Press the Up or Down arrow buttons to change the speaker settings. Your selection will be stored automatically. 4. Repeat step 2 and 3 to set up the next speaker Center Speaker selection (CTR) YES / NO Surround Speaker selection (SURR) YES / NO Front Speaker distance (FRNT) 3-30 ft Centre Speaker distance (CNTR) 0-30 ft Rear Speaker distance (SURR) 0-30 ft
• Never open the cabinet under any circumstances. Any repairs or internal adjustments should be made only by a trained technician. • Never operate this product with the cabinet removed. • Do not touch the player with wet hands. If any liquid enters the player cabinet, take the player to a trained technician for inspection. • The apparatus shall not be exposed to dripping and splashing. • No object filled with liquids, such as vases, shall be placed on the apparatus. • No naked flame sources such as lighted candles ,shall be placed on the apparatus.
Selecting Mono or Stereo Sound
Press the ST•MONO button on the remote control to toggle between mono and stereo sound in FM tuner mode (when available).
AM TUNER SECTION:
Frequency Response: 2kHz +/-6dB, 1kHz ref. Usable Sensitivity: 800uV/m @ S/N 20dB Signal to Noise: 38dB IF Rejection: 35dB
FM TUNER SECTION:
Frequency Response: 15kHz +/-3dB, 1kHz ref. Quieting: 24dBu Signal to Noise: 60dB(stereo) / 65dB(mono) IF Rejection: 50dB
• Do not play your headset at a high volume. Hearing experts warn against extended highvolume play. • If you experience a ringing in your ears, reduce volume or discontinue use. • You should use extreme caution or temporarily discontinue use in potentially hazardous situations. • Even if your headset is an open-air type designed to let you hear outside sounds, don't turn up the volume so high that you a re unable to hear what is around you.
Advanced Sound Control
Sound Enhancement Systems
This receiver is equipped with several built-in sound enhancement systems.
Select this setting to play digital signals from a DVD, CD, LD player, SAT or TV. SOURCE DEFAULT INPUT (as seen on display) Analog Analog Analog Analog Built-in Analog Analog (SAT/ ANL) (DVD/ ANL) (CD/ ANL) (VCR/ ANL) Tuner (TAPE/ ANL) (TV / ANL)
Dimensions (H x W x D inch) :
Unit - 3.7 x 16.9 x 14 Front and Surround Speakers - 6.1 x 3.1x 3.5 Center Speaker - 2.7 x 9.8 x 33.3 Subwoofer - 12.4 x 6.3 x 14
Dolby 3 Stereo
The 3 Stereo mode will redirect the Surround signals to the front left and right speakers when only the front and center speakers are used.
The Dolby Digital mode lets you enjoy full digital surround from software processed in the Dolby Digital format. Dolby Digital provides better sound quality and more powerful presence than conventional Dolby Surround. This unit is equipped with Dolby Digital 5.1channel so that you can enjoy enhanced full digital surround sound. Being different from Dolby Pro Logic in which only four channels ( Front Left, Front Right, Centre and Rear ) are used, the new system provides stereo separation of the rear speakers (Rear-Right, Rear-Left ). These 5 channels, together with the subwoofer channel for bass sounds (counted as 0.1 channel ), constitute as 5.1Channel ( or 6 Channels ) Input for Dolby Digital that brings you the most sophisticated sound enjoyment.
Front Left Speaker
Front Right Speaker
SAT DVD CD VCR FM/AM TAPE TV
5. When set up is done, wait for 5 seconds to automatically save your settings or press any key to save your selection and set up mode.
If you purchased your unit outside Canada: • This warranty does not apply. Contact your dealer for warranty information. Service calls which do not involve defective materials or workmanship are not covered by this warranty. Costs of such service calls are the sole responsibility of the purchaser.
By default, the Center and Surround Speakers are set to YES. If you decide not to use them, set the ones you do not intend to use to NO so the sound performance is not affected.
This product should only be used for the purposes for which it is sold, that is, entertainment, violating no copyright law. Any attempts to use this product for which it is not intended is unlawful and therefore not condoned by Thomson.
Digital input is only available for DVD, SAT, CD and TV
Displaying Program Formats
When a digital source starts playing, the receiver automatically switches to LS LFE RS the proper surround mode and provides setting information via the speaker icons located on the right-hand side of the display.
L C R
Select this setting to play analog signals from a cassette deck, VCR or turntable.
The Stereo mode uses the two main channel outputs from the front speakers. Use this mode if you have connected the front speakers only.
SOURCE SAT DVD CD VCR TAPE TV
AVAILABLE INPUT Analog Analog Analog Analog Analog Analog Optical Optical Optical -/-/Optical / Coaxial / Coaxial / Coaxial
Dolby Pro Logic II
The Pro Logic II mode uses the built-in circuit to steer the Left, Center, Right and Surround left and right channel audio signals and uses all five speakers to play both stereo and Dolby Pro Logic program source, such as TV and VCR. Dolby Pro Logic II includes Dolby Pro Logic II Movie, Dolby Pro Logic II Music and Dolby Pro Logic Emulation. You can use this mode with any stereo program source (such as VCR/SAT) to enjoy multi-channel sound experience.
DSP (Digital Sound Processor)
These digital sound effects resemble sounds in a real environment such as (DISCO / STADIUM / THEATER / JAZZ CLUB / ARENA). DSP automatically converts analog audio signals to digital ones which enables you to adjust the sound without degrading the sound quality. Different modes will give you different feels of size and types of listening environment.
It is important to note, however, that not all Dolby Digital sources are encoded with the full complement of five channels plus LFE*. Speaker icons show how many and which speaker you have enabled (See "Fine Setting of the Speakers") and the letters inside the speaker icons show which channel is present in the source information. For example, the diagram shown means you have all five speakers and subwoofer enabled and the digital sources you played have five channels plus LFE complemented. * LFE stands for Low Frequency Effect. The indication "LFE" appears if the digital source contains LFE information. In this case, the bass signal will be delivered to the subwoofer, offering more dynamic deep bass sound effects. If the letter is flashing, the signal is either too weak or just gone.
Fine Setting of the Speakers
All the basic settings have already been pre-set for the speakers included in the box. Also, to make the surround sound more effective and suit the acoustic conditions in your listening room, you may need to delay the signal coming from some of the speakers. Channel delay compensates for center or surround speakers that are closer to the listening position than the front speakers. You can make use of the SETUP button to adjust the speakers' relative loudness.
By using Dynamic Range Control technology, you can enjoy enhanced Dolby Digital sound quality at night without interrupting your roommates or neighbors. Night Mode will compress the difference between normal voices and sounds such as explosions, while still enjoying a Dolby Digital enable component (DVD, SAT). Night Mode can be activated by pressing the NIGHT button on the remote control. DRC OFF (Default) appears on the display. While DRC OFF (Default) is still on the display, continue to press the NIGHT button to toggle and select the desired night mode. There are three modes (DRC OFF, SOFT, ON) for you to choose the extents of compression.
Front Left Speaker
Front Right Speaker
Testing Speaker Loudness
You can listen to the loudness of the individual speakers. 1. Press and hold LEVEL on the remote control. A short noise will be heard in the speakers one by one. The speaker having the noise at that moment will be shown in the display.
Rear Left Speaker
Rear Right Speaker
Night mode is available only with Dolby Digital playback.