Yamaha DD-55 manual table of contents:
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 1
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 2
...connect this product to any power supply or adapter other than one described in the manual, on the name.... Modiﬁcations not expressly approved by Yamaha may void your authority, granted... to the instructions found in the users manual, may cause interference harmful to the operation of other electronic...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 3
...LED displays as shown in this owner's manual are for instructional purposes only, and may be different from the ones on your instrument. * Any mention or reference to the DD-55 in this manual also applies to the model DD-55C.
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 4
Thank you for purchasing the Yamaha DD-55. The DD-55 has been developed to respond and play like a drum set - but with greater ease, ﬂexibility and sophisticated functions. Before you use the instrument, we recommend that you ...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 5
... read this section carefully before using the instrument.
Although the DD-55 will run either from an optional AC adaptor or ... not deplete resources. Using an AC Power Adaptor q Make sure that the [STANDBY/ON] switch of the DD-55 is set to STANDBY. w Connect the AC adaptor (PA-5D, ...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 6
q w !4 !3
t y u i o !0 !1 !6
q w e r t y u i o
DEMO ... VOLUME buttons...8 HAND PERC button...10 DRUM 1 - 3 buttons ...18 BACKING button...18 ... 18 REC button ...20 STANDBY/ON Switch ...8, 31 DIAL...10 Drum Pads (x7...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 7
• Connect the DD-55 to external equipment only after turning off power for all devices... Panel (Right)
@2 @4 @3
• Since speakers are built into the DD-55, you should be careful to never leave... loss or damage to the items. Also avoid using the DD-55 near a television or computer monitor, ...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 8
Playing the Demo Song
The DD-55 features a demonstration song, specially created to show you the dynamic possibilities of ....
Press the [DEMO] button and the demo song starts playing. ● MASTER VOLUME The overall volume level of the DD-55 is controlled by two VOLUME buttons (10 volume levels L0 - ...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 9
...Small Pad 3 (Drum Kit 00). Striking Small Pad 3 while pressing Pedal 2 produces ... Tom (Low)
Ex. shown, Drum Kit 00
102: Hi-Hat Pedal
The bass drum voice is controlled by pressing Foot Pedal 1. Pedal 1 features ... the Hi-hat. (This is in the case of Drum Kit 00.)
001: Bass Drum (Hard...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 10
..., do not strike the pads with drumsticks or anything other than your hands.
Assigning a Drum Kit to the Pads and Pedals
The DD-55 allows you to choose from 45 different Drum Kits (00 - 44 : see the "Drum Kit List" page 36...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 11
Assigning a Voice to Individual Pads and Pedals ("CU" Custom Kit)
The DD-55 contains a total of 212 high quality drum sounds (see the "Drum Voice...to the pad/pedal. After you've assigned the voice, the DD-55 will automatically be set to the custom kit.
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 12
Play the Pads/Pedals
Different depths of the DD-55's reverb effect can be added to the DD-55's overall sound.
Display the Reverb On/Off Setting.
Simultaneously press the [DEMO] and [START/STOP] button to enter the ...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 13
Play the Pads/Pedals
Setting the Pad Sensitivity
The DD-55 allows you to custom-set... vibrations of the struck pad. To prevent this from happening, the DD-55 is set to ignore hits of low velocity. ... problems may be solved by changing the DD-55 settings or altering your playing technique (as described ...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 14
Play the Pads/Pedals
Adjusting the Pad Volume
The DD-55 lets you adjust the volume of each pad (range: L0 - L9), allowing you to set the overall balance of the kit.
Press and hold the [PAD] button and strike the pad whose volume you want to ...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 15
Playing a Song
The DD-55 features 100 different songs that can be used to provide accompaniment. (See the "Song List" on page 35.)...Select feature turned on, selecting a song will also automatically select the best suited Drum Kit for that song. (See "Auto Kit Select ON/OFF ...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 16
While song playback is stopped, press the [BREAK/TAP] button. All three of the beat lamps ﬂash, indicating the DD-55 is set to Tap Start standby. To cancel the Tap Start mode, simply press the [BREAK/TAP] button once again (the beat ...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 17
Playing a Song
Exit the Auto Kit Select.
Press the [DEMO] and [START/STOP] buttons simultaneously once again to exit the MIDI/Utility mode.
• The Auto Kit Select is automatically set to "oFF" when the MIDI Transmit Channel setting is changed (see "Setting ...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 18
... and pedals to play along with the song accompaniment.
• The DD-55 can play a total of 32 notes simultaneously. ...The three beat lamps in the display ﬂash, indicating the DD-55 is in Break standby mode. To cancel the .... You can play a drum ﬁll or drum solo during this break. The DD-55 returns to ...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 19
..., press the [A-B REPEAT] button once again to set the "B" point ("b" appears in the display). A... and end points can only be set in measure steps.
Stop the A-B REPEAT.
Press ... and the accompaniment will again repeat between the set points.
• Repeat is canceled when a different song ...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 20
... tempo cannot be changed while in the RECORD mode) • Song Volume setting
Prepare to Record.
Select the desired song, drum kit, tempo and track on/off setting.
• Any song from 00 - 99 can be selected. After recording, the ...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 21
The MIDI IN and MIDI OUT terminals, located on the DD-55's right side panel, offer broadened musical possibilities through use of MIDI. What is MIDI? What can you do with MIDI? And how can you use MIDI with the DD-55? Here are some answers to those questions...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 22
...messages and System messages. ● Channel Messages The DD-55 is an electronic instrument that can handle 16 channels.....
Message Name Note ON/OFF DD-55 Operation/Panel Setting Messages which are generated when... Exclusive Message Realtime Messages DD-55 Operation/Panel Setting Reverb/Chorus/DSP settings...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 23
..., make sure to properly set the MIDI Transmit Channels on the DD-55. Also make ...-55 MIDI receive
MIDI IN MIDI OUT
● You can play ... play it back using the sounds of the DD-55. The DD-55 also lets you... and compositions. To set up, connect the MIDI OUT terminal on the DD-55 to the MIDI...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 24
...only special MIDI cables. ● Connect the MIDI terminals of the DD-55 to the MIDI terminals of the MIDI interface installed to your computer.
Computer (sequencer software) DD-55
MIDI OUT... shown in the diagram below.
Computer (sequencer software) DD-55
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 25
...press the [DEMO] and [START/STOP] buttons. The DD-55 exits from the MIDI mode and returns to the normal play mode.
Setting the Clock
When the DD-55 is connected via MIDI ...55’s internal clock. When external clock (E) selected, the DD-55 will synchronize to the external sequencer’s or computerମ.
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 26
..., data received via MIDI will be played by the DD-55.
• Normally, this should be set to "on" - since you'll want to hear the sound of the DD-55 as you ..., you may need to set this to "oFF" to avoid getting "double" notes, in which the sounds of the DD-55 are played ...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 27
Setting the MIDI Transmit Channel
Each of the pads/pedals (a total of 9) can be assigned to transmit on any of the 16 MIDI channels,...).Also, song transmit channels are as shown below:
Transmit Channel Pad/Pedal Drum (Song) Backing (Song) Pad/Pedal (Custom ) 1 -...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 28
... pad to a MIDI note number as desired, exit the MIDI/Utility mode.
• For information on transmit notes and voices, refer to the DD-55 "Drum Map" on page 38. • When the Pad Assign or Kit Assign is set, the MIDI Note Number will be applied...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 29
Saving and Loading Song Data
The DD-55 lets you save and load song data ... with the preset songs. To transfer song data between the DD-55 and the connected computer, you must ﬁrst install the special Song Filer software to the computer. DD-55 song data that can be loaded and saved:
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 30
... to page 24 for information on connecting the DD-55 to a computer. For more information on using Song Filer, refer to the PDF manual included with the Song Filer application download. ● Managing Data on DD-55 The DD-55's custom song data can be deleted by using your ...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 31
......The DD-55's Custom Song, Custom Kit, and Panel Setting data are backed up so long as power is supplied to the DD-55 by means of batteries or an AC adaptor. Initialize is the term which refers to this data being restored to its original factory ...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 32
...your DD-55 is damaged. If the suggested remedy is ineffective, take the DD-55 to an authorized Yamaha dealer for proper diagnosis and repair. Do not attempt ..., an optional AC adaptor PA-5D or PA-5C should be used to power the DD-55 (see page 5).
• The volume is set too low. Adjust the volume (see ...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 33
Drum Voice List ...● Panel Voice List
Voice No. 000 001 ... 032 033 034 035 036 037 Voice Name Bass Drum Soft Bass ... Rock Bass Drum Elec. Bass Drum Hard Elec. Bass Drum Dance Bass Drum Soft Dance Bass Drum Hard Dance Bass Drum Jazz ... Soft Jazz Bass Drum Hard Jazz Bass Drum Snare H Soft Snare ...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 34
... Fusion Fusion Samba
NOTE: • Phrase data cannot be transmitted. • The pan data for each voice is ﬁxed and cannot be changed, regardless of the pad assignments. For example, if a voice containing a "left" pan setting is assigned to a right pad, the actual sound will come from the left.
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 35
...46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ...Difﬁcult
Demo: These songs demonstrate the drum sounds and rhythms. Pattern: These are special loop-... appropriate for use with many rhythms. Song: These include drum and ﬁll-in patterns, and are ideal for general practice ...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 36
Drum Kit List ...Small Pad 1 Pad 2 Pad 3 Small Pad 2
Small Pad 3 Pad 1 Pad 4
Kit No. 00 ...simply by hitting a pad on the DD55. No need to worry if you hit a pad repeatedly or hit more than one pad - the DD-55 plays the phrase through once and stops, until you hit a pad again.
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 37
... 1 Crash Cymbal 1 Crash Cymbal 1 Dance Bass Drum Soft Crash Cymbal 1 Crash Cymbal 1 Crash... 180 157 004 005 161 004 005
Pedal 1 Bass Drum Hard Rock Bass Drum Dance Bass Drum Hard Bass Drum Soft Bass Drum Hard... 104 162 104 104
Pedal 2 Hi-Hat Closed/Open * Rock Bass Drum Hi-Hat Closed/Open * Claves Hi-...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 38
... 1 52 E 2 40 E 1 53 F 2 41 F 1 54 F# 2 42 F# 1 55 G 2 43 G 1 56 G# 2 44 G# 1 57 A 2 45 A 1 ... 3 52 E 2 65 F 3 53 F 2 66 F# 3 54 F# 2 67 G 3 55 G 2 68 G# 3 56 G# 2 69 A 3 57 A 2 70 A# 3... Rim Shot 2
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 39
...D# 1 52 E 2 40 E 1 53 F 2 41 F 1 54 F# 2 42 F# 1 55 G 2 43 G 1 56 G# 2 44 G# 1 57 A 2 45 A 1 ...E 3 52 E 2 65 F 3 53 F 2 66 F# 3 54 F# 2 67 G 3 55 G 2 68 G# 3 56 G# 2 69 A 3 57 A 2 70 A# 3 ...Tom
124 Pad Electronic Reverse Cymbal Hi Q Low Rock Snare H Snare L Rock Bass Drum Soft Rock Bass Drum Hard...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 40
... Sci-Fi Sitar Banjo Shamisen Koto Kalimba Bagpipe Fiddle Shanai Tinkle Bell Agogo Steel Drums Woodblock Taiko Drum Melodic Tom Synth Drum Rev.Cymbal GtrFretNoise Breath Noise Seashore Bird Tweet TelephonRing Helicopter Applause Gunshot
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 41
MIDI Implementation Chart
[ DIGITAL PERCUSSION ] Model DD-55 MIDI Implementation Chart Transmitted Recognized
Date:07-FEB-2001 Version : 1.0 Remarks
Function...Basic Channel Mode
Note Number Velocity After Touch Pitch Bend 0,32 1 6,38 7 ...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 42
... Value of Pan for each drum pad and foot pedal is not transmitted via MIDI. *2 The DD-55 can accept Start/Stop signals, received via MIDI, by setting the MIDI clock... of a different Reverb effect or a different kit. Sending MIDI data from the DD-55 to an external tone generator may result...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 43
... the system exclusive messages and parameter changes, you can select the Reverb, Chorus and DSP effect types which are not accessible from the DD-55 panel itself.
00 000 No Effect 001 (1)Hall1 002 Room 003 Stage 004 Plate 005...127 No Effect ...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 44
Adaptor : DC12V (Yamaha PA-5D or PA-5C ... 20,000 notes)
Drum Stick x 2, Foot Pedal 1 & 2, Owner's Manual
Drum ..., please check with your Yamaha dealer.
Song/Drum Kit/Tempo etc.
DC IN12 V, ...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 45
... is applicable to all models included in the following series of products:
DD SERIES OF DIGITAL PERCUSSION
If during the ﬁrst 90 ... to: the retailer selling the product, an authorized service center, or to Yamaha with an explanation of the problem. Please be prepared to provide proof purchase date ...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 46
..., Col. Guadalupe del Moral C.P. 09300, México, D.F., México Tel: 55-5804-0600
Yamaha-Hazen Música, S.A. Ctra. de ...
Philippos Nakas S.A. The Music House 147 Skiathou Street, 112-55 Athens, Greece Tel: 01-228 2160
Yamaha Music Malaysia, Sdn., Bhd. ...
- Yamaha DD-55 | Owner's Manual - Page 47
Yamaha PK CLUB (Portable Keyboard Home Page, English only)
Yamaha Manual Library
U.R.G., Pro Audio & Digital Musical Instrument Division, Yamaha Corporation © 2004 Yamaha Corporation WD47990 ???PO???.?-01A0 Printed in Malaysia