Motorola DEFY XT manual table of contents:
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 1
MOTOROLA DEFY XT
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 2
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 3
..., more free stuff. We're here to help. • Updates: Phone updates, PC software, user's guides, online help, and more at www.motorola.com/support. • Accessories: Find more for your phone at www.motorola.com/products. • Social: The latest news, ...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 4
the important keys & connectors
3.5mm HSJ Headset Jack Notification Light Flash=missed call, new message, or other notification. Front Camera Power/ Sleep Key Press=sleep Hold=power
Menu Open options.
Home Touch= home screen ...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 5
...13 Text entry...15 Schedule ...17 Web...18 Location...19 Photos & videos...20 Music ...22 Connections ...23 Security ...26 Tips & tricks ...27 Tools ...28 Troubleshooting ...32 Safety, Regulatory & Legal ...33
let's get you up and running
Assemble & charge
1 Cover off
2 microSD in
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 6
Set up & go
Note: This phone supports apps and services that use a lot of data, so make sure your data plan meets your needs. Contact your service provider for details. When you turn on your new phone, you can create or enter a Google™ account so that ...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 7
To unlock the screen, touch and hold the key until the open lock appears. Then drag the key to the right to the open lock.
Home screen & apps
a few essentials
Quick start: Home screen Keys
Use your phone's keys to navigate and open options at any time. Press the volume keys to change the ringer ...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 8
• To move or delete shortcuts or widgets, touch and hold them until you feel a vibration, then drag it to another spot, another panel, or at the top. In lists, like Contacts, touch and hold a list item for options. • To add shortcuts, widgets, or wallpaper, touch and hold an empty spot until ...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 9
Tip: To show the last eight apps you opened, touch and hold Home .
Play Store. To download new apps, touch > Touch Search to find an app, or touch Downloads to show or reinstall the apps you downloaded. To download apps from websites, you need to change your security settings: Touch Menu > Settings...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 10
... the bar down).
June 2, 2012
From the home screen, touch Menu Sound or Display.
Sound settings General
> Settings >
Silence all sounds except media & alarms
Choose separate volume settings for incoming calls, media, alarms, ...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 11
delete widgets or shortcuts, touch and hold them-then drag them to another spot, another panel, or the trash can. • Ringtones & display: Touch Menu choose Sound, Display, and more. > Settings to
• Set brightness: touch Menu > Brightness. > Settings > Display • Rotate the ...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 12
it's good to talk
• To make a call, touch touch .
Dialer, enter a number, then
Quick start: Calls
From the home screen, touch
Open a list, then touch an entry to call.
When dialing, touch Menu to add a pause (pauses two seconds), or wait (waits for your confirmation). To enter ...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 13
...: Your phone can use location based services (GPS and AGPS) to help emergency services ...battery and phone, you should follow these instructions until the phone is within its recommended temperature range.... phone number.
Note: Your service provider programs one or more emergency phone ...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 14
contacts like you've never had before
within http://mail.google.com). To stop synchronizing Dialer > Contacts > with your account, touch Menu > Accounts, touch your Google account, then uncheck Sync Contacts. • To call, text, or email a contact, touch Contacts, touch the contact, then ...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 15
• Contacts in your Google™ account can download when you log into your Google account on a new Android™ device. You can open these contacts from any computer at http://contacts.google.com. • Contacts in your phone memory stay in your old phone, unless you export them. To import or export ...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 16
• To open text messages, touch touch the sender's name.
Accounts & sync > Add account. For details, contact
the account provider. To set up standard email accounts (not Gmail™ or Email and Microsoft™ Exchange), touch > follow the wizard. To add more standard accounts, Email...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 17
... > Voicemail settings. For your voicemail number or other details, contact your service provider.
EN @ #
1 2 3
q w e r a
& $ 4
y u g h
9 + :
s d z
v b n n m
• To move the cursor, touch and hold a word ...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 18
• To enter the small number or symbol at the top of a key, touch and hold the key. To enter several numbers or symbols, touch 123. • If Swype doesn't know a word, touch individual letters to enter it. Swype remembers, so next time you can just drag over the letters.
Text entry dictionary
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 19
helping you stay in control
Accounts & sync, touch your Google account, then uncheck Sync Calendar. Calendar, • To edit or delete an event, touch > touch the event to open it, then touch Menu > Edit event or Delete event.
Quick start: Schedule
From the home screen, touch
June 2012 Mon ...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 20
Note: Your phone automatically uses your mobile phone network to connect to the web. Your service provider may charge to surf the web or download data. If you can't connect, contact your service provider. Tip: You can connect to the web with "Wi-Fi" on page...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 21
where you are, and where you're going
• To find stores, restaurants, and other places near you, touch at the top. • To get directions, find an address on the map, touch it, then touch . • To save an address for later, touch it, then touch the star by its name to add it to your ...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 22
Photos & videos
see it, capture it, share it!
Quick start: Photos & videos
From the home ...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 23
View & share photos & videos
From the home screen, touch >
The YouTube user-generated content website lets you share videos with YouTube users everywhere. You don't need a YouTube account to browse and view videos. From the home screen, touch >
Flick left and right...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 24
when music is what you need...
To listen to FM radio stations, Plug in a 3.5mm HJS FM Radio. Your phone uses headset and touch > the headset wire as the radio antenna.
Quick start: Music
From the home screen, touch choose a song to play it:
Connected music player
Play Music, then
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 25
... & networks, then Bluetooth settings or Wi-Fi settings.
To get songs for your music player, you can download them from online services or copy them from your computer. Your music player can play these file formats: MP3, M4A, AAC, AAC+, MIDI, WAV, or OGG Vorbis. Note: ...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 26
... in discoverable mode. Note: For questions about a Bluetooth device, check the manufacturer's manual or website. 2 Touch Menu > Settings > Wireless & networks > Bluetooth ...Note: Your phone may not have this feature. Check with your service provider for details. To make your phone a hotspot that other...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 27
... to get a bit more technical, your phone supports the following Wi-Fi modes: 802.11b, g,... driver files, you can download them from www.motorola.com/support.
You should not need to change any network settings. Contact your service provider for help. From the home screen, touch Menu > ...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 28
help keep your phone safe
Note: You can make emergency calls on a locked phone ("Contacts" on page 12). A locked phone still rings, but you need to unlock it to answer.
Quick start: Security
From the home screen, touch Menu Location & security.
Location & security settings Turn off ...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 29
Tips & tricks
a few handy hints
Your phone is like a small computer, giving you a lot of information and apps, at 3G speed, with a touch display! Depending on what you use, that can take a lot of power. To start getting the most out of your battery, touch > Battery Manager > Battery ...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 30
... Power > Airplane mode. Note: When you select airplane mode, all wireless services are disabled. You can then turn Wi-Fi and/or Bluetooth back on, if permitted by your airline. Other wireless voice and data services (such as calls and text messages) remain off in airplane mode. Emergency calls...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 31
Voice readouts (TalkBack)
Your navigation and selections, read out loud. To turn on voice readouts (similar to TalkBack), touch Menu > Settings > Accessibility. Touch Accessibility to enable the settings, then touch TalkBack. Note: You may be asked to download additional "text-to-speech" software (...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 32
Get a closer look. Open a magnification window that you can drag around the screen, or pinch to zoom in on maps, web pages, and photos. • Magnification window: Touch Menu > Settings > Accessibility. Touch Accessibility to enable the settings, then touch Magnifier Mode. • Pinch to zoom: To ...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 33
...move it to get the best position for speaking and listening.
Want more? No problem. Google Play Store provides access to thousands of apps, and many provide useful ...connect your TTY device to the headset jack on your phone. Refer to your TTY device guide for mode and usage information.
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 34
... replace and turn on your phone as usual.
Service & repairs
If you have questions or... Go to www.motorola.com/repair (United States) or www.motorola.com/support (Canada), where you can select from a number of...TTY/TDD United States for hearing impaired), or 1-800-461-4575 (Canada).
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 35
...battery should only be replaced by a Motorola-approved service facility, and any attempt to remove ...If the message remains, contact a Motorola authorized service center. Warning: Use of a non-Motorola ... your used batteries in many retail or service provider locations. Additional information on proper ...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 36
..., Regulatory & Legal
Some parts of your mobile device may be made of glass. This glass could break if the product receives a substantial impact. If glass breaks, do not touch or attempt to remove. Stop using your mobile device until the glass is replaced by a qualified service center.
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 37
..., and to be sure that human exposure to RF energy does not exceed the guidelines set forth in the relevant standards, always follow these instructions and precautions: • When placing or receiving a phone call, hold your mobile device just like you would a landline phone. • If you wear the mobile...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 38
Follow Instructions to Avoid Interference Problems
Turn off your mobile device in any ...refer to the regulatory information in your printed product guide.
FCC Notice to Users
The following statement ...if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 39
...47 CFR Sec. 15.21. For products that support Wi-Fi 802.11a (as defined... with third parties, including your wireless service provider, applications providers, Motorola, and... • Remain on the phone for as long as the emergency responder instructs you.
The following information is applicable...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 40
... data from your mobile device, go to www.motorola.com/support • Online accounts-Some mobile devices ... location-based information. See "Location Services" for more details. • Other information your ... electrical accessories to any Motorola Approved Service Center in your region. Details of Motorola ...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 41
... If you have questions about return or exchange policies, contact your service provider or phone retailer. The ratings are not guarantees. Results will ... legal advisor.
Open Source Software Information
For instructions on how to obtain a copy of any source code being made publicly ...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 42
.... You are responsible for any applicable carrier service fees incurred while obtaining the required... support. 4. If the software update does not fix the problem, you will receive instructions... conditions applicable to the repair of the Product. To obtain service or other information, please access and...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 43
... AND REGULATIONS.
Products, parts and supporting documentation provided to Motorola as part of the warranty... forth by Motorola in the Products' User Manual, Quick Start Guide, Online Tutorials, and... Warranty Period, or 90 days from the date of service, whichever is longer. Any upgrade to the original...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 44
.... (h) Defects, damages, or the failure of the Product due to any communication service or network you subscribe to or use with the Products. (i) All software,... IN COMBINATION WITH ANY HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE APPLICATIONS OR THIRD PARTY SERVICES, BE UNINTERRUPTED, ERROR-FREE, OR WITHOUT RISK TO, OR LOSS ...
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 45
... AND PASSWORDS. MOTOROLA AND/OR ITS AUTHORIZED SERVICE CENTERS ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LOSS OR MISUSE... for repairs, replacement, or warranty service, please contact the Motorola Customer Support Center at: 1-800... ID: Motorola DEFY XT (XT556, XT557) Manual Number: 68016773001-A
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 46
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 47
- Motorola DEFY XT | DEFY XT - User Guide - Page 48